Sunday, August 14, 2005

Off the grid

Ever since watching 30 days episode about living off the grid at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage I have renewed my obsession with sustainable living. Now, since DH does not share this interest he is a hard sell. You see he doesn’t want to do anything that might detract from the resale value of any home we might build. Just like he doesn’t want to convert a diesel car to run on vegetable oil because it would “ruin it”. I look at living off the grid as walking the walk and really doing something about the enviornment. This is what happens when a hippie marrys a capatalist. Dharma and Greg it is not.

So I find myself wondering how you could find a middle ground between the two extremes. Can one spouse fulfill her dreams of living off the grid without asking the other to really sacrifice too much? And I am pretty lazy some days. I really think I would have to have his help with things. The truth is no one can do the whole sustainable living thing without the other people who will be living with them helping. So, by default I can assume that I am asking DH to be involved and do some work.

Is anyone doing this right now? I mean to any degree. I am still looking into it… My biggest focus being solar power and sustenance farming.

No comments: