Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Live like you were dying

My SIL in Egypt told my husband today that a friend of hers from work has terminal cancer. My SIL is an accountant and got the info because of all payments the company has been making for medical expenses. There are no privacy laws about this kind of stuff in Egypt, or if there are no one is following them. So, the company (my SIL in particular) now knows that he is dying of cancer… But he doesn’t.

So, this leads me to the philosophical question, would you want to know? My husband thinks not telling the man is a fine thing, because it will only make him sad… And what if he became to depressed to function? He also pointed out that Islamicly this was better because if he does any good deeds as a dying man they will lose their significance since he only did them because he was dying…

I will reserve my thoughts for the next post, but I am wondering what do you think?

1 comment:

UmmZaynab said...

When I was a teenager I went to a MYNA confernce and just before one of the prayers a brother got on the microphone and said "pray each prayer as though it was your last prayer" and that has stuck with me ever since.

You were missed and you missed a LOT at the ICf by the way, I can't wait to tell you all about it inshaa Allah.